Skip to main content

Updates for 2012: Part I - How the year started

It seems like I am only finding enough time to post updates every year now :). So what happened over the last 1 year since my previous update.Well lets see, last year when I wrote my earlier post, I was at 138.6 lbs and I voiced my intents on gaining more weight until I reach 154 lbs. How did that go? Not so well actually and I ended up losing 20 lbs instead. Whoa! Yeah I know.

What happened was, I was a bit busy (moved to a new house) most of January, 2012 and then in February I had to travel to the US for a couple of weeks and then the jet lag and everything put together, I could not workout for the first 2 months in 2012. The good news is, I did not lose any of my weight. I still weighed in at about 138 lbs through out that period. How did I do it? Just ate a lot of food although I was not working out. I was happy to see how I could keep my weight. The hope was that I am keeping all my muscle during that time. Little did I know, how wrong I was.

I started working out again in March, but as luck would have it, my strength was nearly not as good as it was before the break. Then I thought, well may be it is just a passing phase, I will go back to my peak strength in a few weeks if my muscle memory serves me well. Then when it came time to check my weight and fat numbers that weekend, I was in for a surprise. I have been checking my weight which has been more or less at about 138 lbs. What I did not check until that fateful day in early March is my fat %. And it stood at 14.5%. I was at 13.5% in December of 2011. It just means that while I was able to maintain my weight, it only came at the cost of fat gain and muscle loss.

I am as heavy, except I was fatter and weaker than before. Disappointing. But I still decided to chug along and continue through the gaining phase until I was 154 lbs. And only then did I come to realize that the worse is not yet behind me. No matter how much I tried, I could not gain any more weight! Since I started working out, I was losing some fat, but there was absolutely no change in weight. It hovered at around 138 lbs for 14 weeks. At which point I gave up gaining weight and decided to reverse gears and go back to losing fat phase. How did that work out? Check out my next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stats for Oct 2009

So it has been a month since I started bulking up. How am I doing so far? Here are the raw numbers Exercises Squats: 170 lbs, 8 reps Deadlifts: 185 lbs, 10 reps Bench Press: 110 lbs, 4 reps Pull ups: Body weight + 25 lbs, 7 reps Overhead Press: 75 lbs, 6 reps I am doing well in all exercises except bench press. The exercise that is already closest to my goal for end of december is my pull-ups. I can already do 7 reps with 25 lbs hanging off my waist! You can check out my previous post for the goals I have set. Body weight and fat Weight: 120.8 lbs Fat %: 12.2% I am able to add weight as expected. But my body fat % shot up too much. My goal for end of december was to weight 125 lbs at 12% body fat. But I am already over the limit for my body fat %. So I have to lower it and at the same time increase my weight. Very unlikely. I might have to revise my goals, but I will see how it goes and hope to make better predictions for my next bulking phase. It is not at all easy to ke

Goodbye P90X, Hello StrongLifts

My love affair with P90X lasted for about 3 months before I gave up. Why? Because I was simply not seeing any more results. I am not saying P90X is flawed. Neither am I endorsing it. It just did not work for me. I think P90X works for people who are very fit at some point in their life, but have since become overweight. Even in the infomercial for P90X, they mostly show people who were rowers or athletes or runners or well trained people who slacked and then took up P90X and saw good results. I am not one of them. I was never fit. Never lifted weights, never ran more than 100 yards never lifted more than 30 lbs using any known muscle nor was in rowing, boxing, tennis or any other physical activity ever. I just have a weak body. And it has always been that way. So I could not use P90X to get back to my fit state. After discovering that it is not working well for me I started searching for some workouts for skinny folks like me. I came across stronglifts . This workout was different. A

Strong Lifts 5x5 log

I started strongs lifts on Februry 23, 2009 and ended it about 3 months later on May 13, 2009. Here are the logs of my workouts by day and weight lifted. All the weights are in lbs. The cells marked with a blue background indicate that I could not do 5x5 and so I had to repeat those weights. As you can see I had some good progress overall. I never did squats and now I know what those are and how much I can squat. Bench press has always been my weakest workout. I could not go over the 100 lb weight (even today). For push-ups I used a weighing scale below my hands and checked how much weight gets exerted on it when I try to do a push-up. The scales showed 70 lb (I weight 120 lb). So I am not lifting my full body weight when I am doing push-ups. I was able to do 3 sets of 5 reps each. Then for my next push-up day I kept a 5 lb plate on my back and did my push-ups. If I was able to do 3x5 then for the next time I added another 5 lb plate and so on. That is how I got those numbers for m